Friday, March 30, 2012

Small Steps (Not Sure What Direction)


Made the trip to Rayon today – a 20-peso bus from the Dominos on the highway. When I got to the to the cruzero where the bus stops then continues on to Cd Valles, there was a 5-truck military checkpoint right in front of the Fondo Pame office on the side of the highway– young masked guys waving weapons around. Not sure whether to be scared or assured.  The senior with his mechanic shop along mud track leading down to Cecilio’s office told me:  no problema, checking for armas, holiday coming up, lots of movement, es necessario.  

It’s become the status quo here. But it gives me the chills. I walk briskly along the mud track with my eyes on my path to reach the cinder block office without incident.

Meeting with Cecilio and Sandra is always strange.  There’s this busy agitation about the place – she taps away on her laptop while he attends to an old composino, and I take advantage of the time to review their 1-page project budget.  It’s taken them 2 months to produce this?

Their office is hot and dirty and austere – a converted garage – no running water – I have to bucket water out of a tub to flush the toilet. There’s decade-old dust on the Steelcase filing cabinets.  They have a tiny display in the entryway of Santa Maria palm jewelery – but it’s dusty too, and discolored from the sun –and the wires a tiny bit rusty.  They throw wads of Kleenex and candy wrappers on the ground at their entrance – as though the earth will simply eat them up.  How can they be serious in preserving the life of the indigenous when they have so little respect for the planet?

They do have flipcharts covering the walls, many of them fallen to the floor, listing communities where they’ve scored funding – name, amount, and some scrawled notes.  I (want to) think they are doing good things. But what percentage to they get to keep?

Their 1-page budget from CDI, the government agency for the protection of the indigenous totals $160k pesos for Paso’s Vivero de Plantas Exoticas.  Most of the money is designated for jornales – day labor payments that will go to the people to continue to maintain and grow the vivero.  The problem is:  it’s only a loan.  I have to keep asking to get a clear answer.  

And how long do they get to pay the loan back?  

18 to 24 months, Cecilio replies.

Well, that could be rough – since the chamales take three years to get to a marketable size.

That long?  he replies with the Mexican ni modo, so it goes, tone.

Yes, sorry to say – it’s confirmed by the plant biologists from IPICYT – Dra. Laura wrote the book on cycades.  I show it to them.  Why should I hide this information?  But, I tell them, she's willing to come out and do an assessment and make recommendation to speed-up the process – is there money in the budget for this?  She can’t promise anything.  But she’ll check the water and soil and light – and recommend plants to diversify the production.  

The simple truth is the chamal is a sustainable plant – it’s been around for 250 million years – it outlived the dinosaurs - and its slow growth process may be part of the reason it’s survived this long. 
I have a lot to learn from that plant.  It’s a long-term investment for this community – no flash in the pan.  It takes time.  And in my opinion, all the more reason to focus on the community capacity-building – so the group has the staying power to tend to the plant and to the business details that will position them to sell it in 2014! 

Without my help I’m not sure that Cecilio and Sandra will get their money back.  I think they know that – that’s why they’re bothering to meet with me – after two postponements.

Their biggest concern is the Registro. But I tell them that’s the easy part – simply red tape – and I’ve got Procurdaria Agraria helping. The hard part is the market, the transportation, the commitment of the vivero team – their ability to shift their mindset – from government handouts to generating income.  I tell them frankly.  What do I have to hide?

I think they know that by now.  I think I know that by now.

We set a meeting for 15 days ahead to review and integrate our plans. I tell them I don’t want to be duplicating effort – or conflicting our messages.  If so, I’ll spend my time elsewhere and leave Paso to them.

No, no, they assure me. They’ll pay for the biologists to come – whatever it takes.

I’m worried about this loan: I payoff my credit cards monthly in full – and I’ve paid for every car I’ve owned, all used, in cash.  I don’t believe in loans. But I decide it’s out of my hands, it’s a done deal – my job now is to do what I can to position the community to pay it back.  Though I have this thought enter my sick brain:  maybe they’re not really expected to repay the loan.  What are the ramifications of defaulting? 

Judging on how other rules are enforced in Mexico, the answer may be:  none.

1 comment:

  1. So true, nothing with likely happen to them for defaulting. Realistically, with the community being so far away, they probably don't even have deeds for their land.

    Take advantage of these last few months to teach them how to respect themselves, how to fight for what they know is right deep down.

    ReplyDelete