Thursday, November 4, 2010

Embracing Hacer

Today is the day I embrace the verb hacer – to do, to make, done, did, made. It’s the most irregular verb in the book; I talk around it as best I can – but sometimes there’s no handy alternative.

Puede hacerlo, yes you can, I tell myself, deftly utilizing the infinitive. Meandering through the Marista school yard on the way home from another day of PST, the shadows long, my head full of lessons, I decide it will be my homework…to construct a table, fill it in, practice aloud, use in a sentence, rinse, repeat, hope something sticks…

Present/Indicativo

Hago

Haces

Hace

Hacemos

Hacen

Past/Pretérito

Hice

Hiciste

Hizo

Hicimos

Hicieron

Past/Imperfecto

Hacia

Hacías

Hacia

Hacíamos

Hacían

Subjuntivo

Haga

Hagas

Haga

Hagamos

Hagan

Futuro

Hare

Harás

Hará

Haremos


Harán

Lo hizo! I did it! Now if I can just remember which is which in context, in a real conversation.

Note in Spanish how the direct object comes before the verb – the indirect object too sometimes. So aside from having 25 conjugation possibilities to choose from for every darn verb, gotta pause and remember where to stick your objects.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome to get your news and read your amazing blog posts. I do get a very vivid sense of how challenging the PC experience is from reading what you're sharing. I’m not sure I could deal with the every-day realities of poverty that you are coming face-to-face with. I admire your commitment to continue to see OPPORTUNITY. xoxo

    ReplyDelete