Thursday, November 26, 2009

Just Put It


“My blog. I want to revive my blog. Why not? What’s stopping me? ‘PlanetBrazil’ – it’s not a place, it’s a state of mind. Yes, I’m back in the USA, but the feeling, and the stories and ideas, live-on. It’s about exploration, discovery, transformation. Do this today - post an entry. Then go get a manicure/pedicure.” (December 22, 2008)

I wanted to do it last year, and I didn’t. There’s the evidence, straight from my journal. I can’t believe a whole year has gone by, a hole year, and here I am, contemplating this idea all over again. The difference this year is: I’m doing it.

So why? What’s changed?

I just decided, I committed. Commitment: taking action, moving forward, despite the risks, regardless of outcome.

But what if no one reads it? There’s so much crap out there on the Net – who needs another blog? So what IF no one reads it? It’s about me, really, about seeing it, writing it, and putting it out there, right?

Just like Grandma Lena used to say (god rest her soul)…as we all gathered in her Brooklyn dining room for the Thanksgiving meal, the table laden with Italian delights, first the antipasto, platters of meats and cheeses and marinated things, then the raviolis and meatballs and stuffed mushrooms and artichokes, and then came the lamb and the ham and the rolls of stuffed bragioles…and was there room for one more dish? Would they eat it?

‘Just put it!’ Grandma would bark out from the kitchen, thrusting her wooden spoon into the air, her life philosophy summed up in those three simple words.

Lena died just this past July, a month shy of her 101st birthday. So here’s to you, Grandma, on Thanksgiving Day 2009. I won’t be sharing the meal with you today – but I’m sharing a part of myself, Anneseye. I'm ready - I’m just gonna put it.

And now I'm going to get to making those stuffed mushrooms and braised Brussel sprouts with bacon for Thanksgiving dinner with friends.


5 comments:

  1. hi anne! thank you for sharing...you know how much a fan i am of you! i so wish for more physical proximity to you but reading your thoughts will help to fill the distance. hope your day of thanks was full of all things to be grateful for. love xoxo marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE. What a great mantra ... and first post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, to my girlfriends for their support. Thanks for being in my world, sometimes virtual, but always right there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet Anne, and probably the first time I am mentioned in a blog. It was really lovely to once again spend Thanksgiving with you. It is becoming a tradition too! I loved the Grandma Lena inspired stuffed mushrooms, and roasted veggies with rosemary. See you soon, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabu! great to have you blogging .. here's to new possibilities in 2010!!

    ReplyDelete